I was reading through my Tony Robbins notes from my last Unleash The Power Within seminar I attended and I was reminded of the research undertaken by Dr Ferrydoon Batmanghelidj.
This is the background of Dr Batmanghelidj. He was a political prisoner in Iran, during which time he was placed in solitary confinement. He decided not to eat any food during that time because he believed that without movement or exercise, the food would become toxic within his body. So for seven days, he went almost without food and drank only water. Miraculously, he noticed that the water took away his hunger pains.
Once he was out of solitary confinement, he was taken to the main block of the prison where there were about 250-300 other prisoners. Late one night, some people brought a fellow prisoner to him who was doubled over in pain. The guards wouldn’t take the prisoner for medicationso he came to Dr. Batmanghelidj as a last resourt. Because he didn’t have any medication to hive, he gave him two glasses of water, and within three minutes, the man started to brighten and his pain diminished. Thus, Dr. Batmanghelidj prescribed him two glasses of water every three hours for the duration of four months they were in the same block. This shocked him because the man had peptic ulcer disease and yet water was curing his pain.
At this point , Dr. Batmanghelidj became curious about water as medication so he devoted the remaining time in prison to research the impact of water. During the two years and seven months of his incarceration, he treated over 3,000 similar cases.
Eventually, Dr. Batmangehlidj came to America where his initial research was published in the Journal of Clinical Gastroentrology. Later, the University of Pennsylvania hired him to further his research. His primary conclusion is that medicine has labeled states of dehydration in many different ways and that water can play an important role in not only maintaining health, but curing disease.
Here is a very brief synopsis of his work
1. How Do You Get Dehydrated?
Through actitvities of daily living, the average day’s loss of fluid is 2.5 Litres, which is generally replaced by the fluid we drink and the food we eat.
But exercise, sweating,temperature, or altitude can significantly increase the amount of fluid required. The most common cause of increased fluid loss is exercise and sweating. The effects of even mild dehydrating are decreased co-ordination, fatigue and impairment of judgement. The sources of fluid loss are respiration, perspiration, urination and defecation. The rate of loss from each of these vary according to activity levels, aire temperature, humidity and altitude.
2. How Do You Know if your Dehydrated?
- A dry mouth is the last outward sign of dehydration
- If you are thirsty it means your cells are already dehydrated
- A severely dehydrated body produces orange or dark colour urine
- A somewhat dehydrated body produces yellow urine
- A carefully hydrated body produces colourless urine
- Some side effects of dehydration include stress, headaches, back pain, allergies, weight gain, asthma,high blood pressure and Alzheimer’s disease
3. How Much Water Do You Need To Drink?
- Each day you should drink half of your body weight in ounces. In other words, if you weigh 200 pounds, you should be drinking 100 ounces of water a day.
- Ideally, you should never go more than 15 to 20 minutes without sipping water
- You should start drinking water in the morning, before you even get out of bed. This is when you are most toxic and dehydrated.
- You should always drink water prior to eating to support the digestive process.
Unfortunately Dr Batmanghelidj passed away in November 2004. Although his work continues to touch many lives, he is sorely missed as a medical researcher , pioneer and husband and father. You can read more about his work at www.watercure.com
Of course, I would recommend that your Hydration should come from the amazing Hexagonal Kangen Water® – Not only do you get better hydration, but your water is Alkaline and this also combats the acidity of your body and thereby reducing the capacity of disease that acid can develop in your body.